As the main gathering and entertaining space for most homeowners, kitchens often require more complex planning than any other household room. For that reason, if you’re looking to renovate a home, build from scratch, or even design kitchens for a new apartment complex, a local kitchen designer is worth their weight in gold.
Below, we’ll discuss all the details regarding how to find a trusted local kitchen designer — including what they do and what qualities they should exhibit.
What Does a Kitchen Designer Do?
A good kitchen designer doesn’t take complete control over your home’s aesthetic. Instead, they’ll work with you and provide solutions that bring your unique vision to life.
From trending styles to modern appliances, they’ll provide you with recommendations that you may have never heard about or considered, and they’ll find innovative solutions to whatever challenges your build or remodel may involve. They’ll also help you with the trickier components of kitchen design like arranging plumbing, electrical, and gas line equipment.
In a nutshell, their responsibilities include:
- Meeting with you to discuss your kitchen goals
- Creating plans and mock-ups for your reference
- Drafting specified layouts for your construction team
- Building relationships with appliance manufacturers
What Qualities Should I Look for in a Local Kitchen Designer?
There are some basic requirements all kitchen designers should have, such as experience in architecture, construction, and/or interior design. But how do you find the local kitchen designer that’s going to deliver the best results for you? Here are a couple of qualities to look for:
- Great project management skills – When your kitchen designer has great project management skills, you don’t have to. They’ll make sure shipments are in and selections are installed on schedule.
- Good budgeting skills – One of the first things a good kitchen designer will do is discuss your budget. Then, they’ll do everything they can to recommend products and solutions within that budget.
- Great relationships with top name brand manufacturers – If a kitchen designer has already established good relationships with trusted building materials suppliers, their process will be streamlined, and you’ll get a great selection of products to choose from.
How Much Does It Cost to Have a Kitchen Designer?
The rates for a local kitchen designer vary a lot, according to experience, scope of project, and whether they’re an independent designer or associated with a construction or showroom organization. For example, an independent designer will probably charge a percentage of your project costs, totaling a few thousand dollars. On the other hand, a company that offers design services in conjunction with product purchases typically combines the charges into a retainer.
While it’s common for kitchen designers to charge for their services, Standard Kitchens offers you a unique money-saving advantage against its competitors. Standard Kitchens’ kitchen designers provide their services free of charge. By working with us, you’ll be able to get expert counseling and recommendations for your project, without worrying about the costs associated with the design process.
If you’re planning a new kitchen or need help designing kitchens in a new apartment building, Standard Companies is your expert local resource. Our Standard Kitchens team is full of expert interior and kitchen designers ready to help you plan your ideal kitchen — free of charge. Stop into one of our many locations or contact us online today.